Saturday, March 22, 2014

When Hard Times Come....Laugh!



I am the unfortunate child with the large white bow in my hair...this was a very hard time:)



Even in the hospital, my dad knows how to have a good time!




 One thing I have learned in my life is that there are always going to be hard or uncomfortable moments. Sometimes they come in trials, experiences, or in my case horrible family photos. Today I wanted to share an experience I had when I was in my youth!

I looked down at the huge cement ramp ahead of me convinced there was no way I could walk down it. I crossed this overpass everday as I walked to my junior high school.Walking up the one side of the arch is easy, but walking down the otherside is a little tricky, especially when you are in the throws of winter. As I began my descent down the icy slide I began to reflect upon earlier in the day when I chose fashion over sensibility when it came to my shoes. Although very attractive, my shoes were useless against the sheets of ice beneath them. I didn't even walk two feet before I lost grip on the ground, my feet flew in the air, and I slid my way down the overpass. Pride was lost, and humiliation was found as a large school
bus of friends (and people I hoped would be my friends) pulled up in front of me.

There are a few lessons I learned that day. First, when it comes to shoes....although they may be cute, pick sensible over fashionable. Second, when hard and often uncomfortable times come....laugh!

There is much to be worried about in this day and age. Sometimes the circumstances and choices of others can wear us down and make it feel like we are alone. We sometimes fall into the downward slope of
negativity and sadness. But in all actuality we have a loving Heavenly Father. He is the Father of our Spirits and he knows us and our troubles. Happiness is what he wants for us.

Troubles will come, but so will joy. The best medicine for any rainy (or in my case snowy) day is laughter. In a scripture in the Book of Mormon it states "...men are that they might have joy!" (2 Nephi 2:25). We are designed to be happy in this life, and to spend our time lifting those who are weighed down.

When I finally reached the bottom of the overpass I was greeted by a woman who had just crossed the bridge herself. She smiled at me, and I fully expected her to give me words of comfort (or atleast pretend she didn't see my epic fail at walking). Instead she laughed....a lot, and then waved goodbye. For some reason all I could do was laugh too! Life is far too short to waist in unnecessary sorrow.

We have a loving Heavenly Father! He knows we have some pretty "slippery" days. Rely on Him. Talk to Him. And don't forget to laugh!!
I am the festive-sweater-wearing child on the far right. Not a huge fan of family pictures....



No comments:

Post a Comment